Your Choice for Las Vegas Property Management Get a Quote

Property Management Blog

Vacation and short term rentals are now legal in Southern Nevada now!

Michael J. Robinson - Tuesday, July 30, 2019

One of the most common questions investment questions I received over the five years from investors is can they transfer their traditional rental property into a short term rental home? Due to websites like Airbnb, VRBO, and Home Away, there is a relatively easy vehicle to convert your home into a vacation rental. But here in Las Vegas, they have had a ban/law on any rentals under 30 days - Until now! The City of Henderson has just approved short term rental properties under 30 days. They have many additional rules which are addressed below, but that’s the tip of the iceberg when considering Las Vegas and short term rental properties.
 Interested in short term rentals here Henderson? There are numerous items to consider before quiring a new home for converting your home in Henderson to a vacation rental. But Robinson Realty & Management has the experience to assist you in your decision. The first is the capital investment into furniture, linens, full kitchen supplies, and what type of flooring to install in your property. Our family has been staying at vacation homes for nearly 10 years, and we know first hand what you should do. While Robinson Realty & Management has in the Las Vegas rental business for nearly 15 years, the vacation rental business requires a much different approach. We are here to assist when you are ready. Just email me at Keep in mind, if your home is in a homeowner association, you most likely are not allowed to convert. This will apply to most older homes in the older parts of Henderson. Below are the initial rules Henderson City Council has given us.

  • Homeowners interested in signing up are required to pay a $820 annual fee. There is a 30-day grace period to register.
  • Events such as bachelor parties or weddings are off the table. The ordinance says a rental is strictly for overnight stays.
  • Visitors can't get too comfy. The maximum stay is 30 days.
  • In an effort to keep the noise down, the property owner is required to install noise monitoring equipment and keep that information for at least six months.
  • Signs advertising the property as a short-term vacation rental are not allowed.
  • The property owner must carry commercial general liability insurance and provide a notarized letter certifying that renting the property doesn't violate HOA rules.
  • Property owners must submit a noise management plan, install noise monitoring equipment, and keep the information for at least six months.
  • People with complaints can call a 24-hour hotline run by the City of Henderson. The hotline operator will contact the registered local contact who will have 45 minutes to address the complaint.